The Third Stage of Cruelty: Cruelty in Perfection - The Murder
- Part Of:
- 1751, printed 1790
- Line engraving on thick, white, smooth wove paper
- Sheet: 24 7/8 x 19 1/4 inches (63.2 x 48.9 cm), Plate: 15 1/4 x 12 3/4 inches (38.7 x 32.4 cm), and Image: 14 x 11 3/4 inches (35.6 x 29.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite lower right: "76"
Lettered upper center: "CRUELTY IN PERFECTION."; lower left: Dear Tommy | My Miftrefs has been | the best of Women to me, and my Conscience flies in my face as often as | I think of wronging her yet I am resolv'd to venture Body | & Soul to do as you would have me | so don't fail to meet me as you | said you would. For I shall | bring along with me all the | things I can lay my hands on. | So no more at presant | but I remain yours till | Death. Ann Gill."; lower left: "[...] | To lawlefs Love when once betray'd, | Soon Crime to Crime Succeeds: | At length beguil'd to Theft, the Maid | By her Beguiler bleeds."; lower center: "Yet learn, seducing Man.'nor Night, | With all its sable Cloud, | Can screen the guilty Deed from Sight; | Foul Murder cries aloud. | Published according to Act of Parliament Feb.1.1751"; lower right: "The gaping Wounds, and bloodstain'd Steel, | Now shock his trembling Soul: | But Oh! what Pangs his Breast must feel, | When Death his Knell shall toll. | Design'd by W.Hogarth."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Patricia Cornwell
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bat | cemetery | cruelty | dagger | death | genre subject | grave | graveyard | headstone | house | knife | lantern | men | moon | murder | night | owl | tombstone | topiary | torture | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Hogarth, 1697–1764, British, The Third Stage of Cruelty: Cruelty in Perfection - The Murder, 1751, printed 1790
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.