The Ascent of Vesuvius
- 1785 to 1790
- Watercolor and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 17 5/8 x 27 5/8 inches (44.8 x 70.2 cm)
Inscribed on back in graphite center right: "Collection Lord Derby"; in graphite center: "D3489/ Henry Tresham RA 1750-1814 | Ascent of Vesuvius.. c 1785 | Coll : Earl of Derby | Tresham, protege of Lord Cawdor, was on | the continent, mainly in Italy, from 1775 to 1789. | LGD"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- ash | climbers | clouds | genre subject | geology | hats | hiking | landscape | men | rocks (landforms) | science | smoke | steam | sticks | tourism | travelers | volcano
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Italy | Vesuvius
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Henry Tresham, 1751–1814, British, The Ascent of Vesuvius, 1785 to 1790
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.