The Ascent of Vesuvius
- 1785 to 1790
- Watercolor and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 17 5/8 x 27 5/8 inches (44.8 x 70.2 cm)
Inscribed on back in graphite center right: "Collection Lord Derby"; in graphite center: "D3489/ Henry Tresham RA 1750-1814 | Ascent of Vesuvius.. c 1785 | Coll : Earl of Derby | Tresham, protege of Lord Cawdor, was on | the continent, mainly in Italy, from 1775 to 1789. | LGD"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- ash | climbers | clouds | genre subject | geology | hats | hiking | landscape | men | rocks (landforms) | science | smoke | steam | sticks | tourism | travelers | volcano
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Italy | Vesuvius
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Henry Tresham, 1751–1814, British, The Ascent of Vesuvius, 1785 to 1790
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.