Octavius Augustus Cæsar
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching and line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Spine: 7 1/8 inches (18.1 cm), Sheet: 7 x 4 1/8 inches (17.8 x 10.5 cm), Image: 4 7/8 x 3 3/8 inches (12.4 x 8.6 cm)
Lettered lower right: "Blake, del. et Sculp."; lower center: "Octavius Augustus Caesar | Was Nephew to Julius Caesar, and 18 years old when Caesar was afsafsinated; | joins Antony, and Lepidus, and defeats Brutus and Cafsius, at the | Battle of Phillippi, 41 years B.C. _ Antony marries Octavia, Sister to Augustus, whom he deserts for Cleopatria, Queen of Egypt, whom Caesar defeats in a naval battle at Actium, 31 years before Christ; | _Shuts the Temple of Janus, the world having been created 3948 | years, when a new AEra commences, the irth of Christ; _dies, | 14 years after that period, at 76, having reigned 44 years. | London, Published by Dr.Thornton, 1821."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bust | portrait
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.