The Three Graces and Fiends Deriding Christ for "The Temptation of Christ"
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: Group of Figures (Fake)
- Graphite; verso: gray wash with pen and black ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- 5 1/2 x 8 1/8 inches (14 x 20.6 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, upper left: "241"; upper center: "Sept 9 Fortune Telling 1784 | [...]"; lower left: "See also No [...] 73/46 (30)"
Collector's mark: "G Romney"; collector's mark: "George Romney"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. J. Richardson Dilworth, B.A. 1938
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- dark | Graces (Charites), generally three in number; 'Gratie' (Ripa) | movement | religious and mythological subject | temptation
- Associated People:
- Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
George Romney (1734-1802) (The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens, 2002-09-15 - 2002-12-01) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
George Romney (1734-1802) (National Portrait Gallery, 2002-05-30 - 2002-08-18) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
George Romney (1734-1802) (Walker Art Gallery, 2002-02-07 - 2002-04-28) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Alex Kidson, George Romney, 1734-1802, National Portrait Gallery, London, 2002, p. 228, no. 143, NJ18 R65 K53 2002 (YCBA) [YCBA]