- The Witches' Cavern
- between 1792 and 1793
- Graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 5 5/8 x 9 3/16 inches (14.3 x 23.3 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, upper left: "180"; upper right: "502"
Collector's mark: "GRomney"; collector's mark: "George Romney"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. J. Richardson Dilworth, B.A. 1938
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cavern | fear | gesturing | illusion | literary theme | Macbeth, Act IV, Scene I | magic | nude | plays by William Shakespeare | smoke | The Tragedy of Macbeth | witches | women
- Associated People:
- Macbeth (character in The Tragedy of Macbeth)
The Three Witches (characters in Macbeth)
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
George Romney, 1734–1802, British, The Witches' Cavern, between 1792 and 1793
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.