The Departure of the Sons of Tippoo from the Zenana
- Additional Title(s):
TIPU SULTAN and MYSORE WARS: The Departure of the Sons of Tippoo from the Zenana
- Stipple engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 20 1/2 x 25 1/2 inches (52.1 x 64.8 cm)
Lettered lower left: "Mather Brown Royal Painter to their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of York"; lettered lower center: "To the Right Honorable Henry Dundas one of His Majesty's Principal Secretaries of State | This Plate representing the DEPARTURE of the SONS of TIPPOO from the ZENANA | is with Permission is respectfully inscribed by his most grateful and devoted Servt. Mather Brown. | London, Published December 21, 1793, and sold for the Proprietor by D. Orme, No. 14 Old Bond Street: and by Walker & Brachenbury, No.7 Cornhill."; lettered lower right: "F. Bartolozzi R.A. Engraver to His Majesty Sculp.
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- elephants (animals) | historical subject | hostages | leaving | portrait | princes | royalty | sons | sultans | Third Anglo–Mysore War (1789–1792) | turbans | war
- Associated Places:
- India | Mysore
- Associated People:
- Tipu Sultan of Mysore (1750–1799)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), The Departure of the Sons of Tippoo from the Zenana, 1793
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.