- Etching on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 1/2 x 9 1/2 inches (31.8 x 24.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite center: "T. Johnson"; in graphite lower left: "Drawn by DuSimitiere etched by Thomas Johnson"; inscrbied on back in black ink center: "Silas Deane, (1737) (1737-1789) from an | etching by Thomas Johnson | (note: [...] the 'e' at the end of his name. in | spite of the original. The two spelling were common | at the time. B. J. H.) | Commissioner with Benjmain Franklin | and Arthur Lee. to the court of France | in the American Revoloution"
Lettered lower center: "SilasDeane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Manuscripts and Archives Collection, transfer from the Sterling Memorial Library
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buttons (information artifacts) | historical subject | man | portrait | portrait | profile (figure) | ruffles
- Associated People:
- Deane, Silas (1737–1789) American merchant, politician and diplomat
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.