- The Bruiser
- Line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 15 3/4 × 12 inches (40 × 30.5 cm), Plate: 15 × 11 1/8 inches (38.1 × 28.3 cm), and Image: 13 1/8 × 10 1/4 inches (33.3 × 26 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "DTYRMLCC"; lower right: "P 215 VII/VII"
Lettered inside image lower center: "The Bruiser, C. Churchill (once the Revd:!) in the Character of a Modern Hercules, Regaling | himself after having Kill'd the Monster Caricatura that so Sorely Gall'd his Virtuous friend, the Heaven born Wilkes | - But he had a Club this Dragon to Drub, Or he had ne'er don't I warrant ye: - "; lower left: "Design'd and Engraved by Wm. Hogarth Price 1s, 6d"; lower right: "Publish'd according to Act of Parliament August 1. 1763."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Thomas S. Holman, New York, NY
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | bear | dog (animal) | tankard
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Ann V. Gunn, The Fire of Fraction: Sources for Paul Sandby's Satires of 1762-63, Print Quarterly Volume XXXIV Number 4 , Print Quarterly, London, December 2017, p. 401, fig. 287, NE1 P765 (LC) (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
William Hogarth, 1697–1764, British, The Bruiser, 1763
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.