- The Turnpike, 6 September 1841
- Graphite; verso: graphite and pen and brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/4 × 14 1/4 inches (26 × 36.2 cm) and Binding: 10 1/4 inches (26 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper center to upper right: "The Turnpike. | 40"; inscribed on verso in graphite, upper center: "Capt. Rock, of Dunlow"; in pen and brown ink, lower right: "Capt. Rock the gunner of Dunloh. Sketched as the man stood 'Attention' "
Signed and dated on verso in pen and brown ink, lower right: "6 Sept. 1841 T Hastings"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cannon | lake | landscape | man | mountains | portrait | road | soldier | staff
- Associated Places:
- Auger Lake | Gap of Dunloe | Ireland | Killarney | Macgillycuddy's Reeks
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Capt. Thomas Hastings, 1778–1854, British, The Turnpike, 6 September 1841, 1841
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.