- Part Of:
- Graphite and pen and brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- 7 7/8 × 5 inches (20 × 12.7 cm), 8 3/4 × 6 1/2 inches (22.2 × 16.5 cm), and 8 3/4 inches (22.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, lower center: "GREENWICH CHURCH. rebuilt by the Commissioners for erecting the fifty New | Churches. is dedicated to Alphage, Abp of Canterbury. said to have been slain by the | Danes. on that Spot. a college at the end of the town. fronting the Thames. | (for the maintenance of 20 decayed old house keepers. 12 of Greenwich | and 8 to be alternately chosen from the Castle Rising in Norfolk. <& son of that> is | called the Duke of Norfolks College. though it was founded in 1613. by Henry | Earl of Northampton. brother of Thos. the fourth Duke of Norfolk. and Son of | that illustrious warrior and poet, Henry Earl of Surry. In 1560. Wm Lambard | authour of the Perambulations in Kent built an hospital. called Queen Elizabeth College"; inscribed below image in graphite: "Completed in 1718."
Watermark on album page: "Smith & Allnutt 1823"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors-Sketchbooks
- Prints and Drawings
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.