- Part Of:
- Graphite and pen and brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 7 7/8 × 5 inches (20 × 12.7 cm), Sheet (album page): 8 3/4 × 6 1/2 inches (22.2 × 16.5 cm), and Binding: 8 3/4 inches (22.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, lower center: "GREENWICH CHURCH. rebuilt by the Commissioners for erecting the fifty New | Churches. is dedicated to Alphage, Abp of Canterbury. said to have been slain by the | Danes. on that Spot. a college at the end of the town. fronting the Thames. | (for the maintenance of 20 decayed old house keepers. 12 of Greenwich | and 8 to be alternately chosen from the Castle Rising in Norfolk. <& son of that> is | called the Duke of Norfolks College. though it was founded in 1613. by Henry | Earl of Northampton. brother of Thos. the fourth Duke of Norfolk. and Son of | that illustrious warrior and poet, Henry Earl of Surry. In 1560. Wm Lambard | authour of the Perambulations in Kent built an hospital. called Queen Elizabeth College"; inscribed below image in graphite: "Completed in 1718."
Watermark on album page: "Smith & Allnutt 1823"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors-Sketchbooks
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.