- Part Of:
- Etching and line engraving on thin, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 14 × 8 7/8 inches (35.6 × 22.5 cm), Plate: 11 3/4 × 7 3/4 inches (29.8 × 19.7 cm), and Image: 10 1/4 × 6 1/4 inches (26 × 15.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, upper left: "Whitlocke | facs p. 52 | 212"
Lettered within image, lower center: "Becket Assassinated."; below image, lower center: "Drawn by R. Smirke, Engraved by A. Smith, & Published by J. Stratford, 112, Holborn Hill, Febry. 2d. 1811."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of James Wilson, YCBA Docent
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- assassination | crucifixes | frame (furnishing) | historical subject
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Anker Smith, 1759–1819, British, Becket Assassinated, 1811
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.