Gate of the Zancarron of Sactuary of the Koran
- Former Title(s):
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Watercolor and graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 16 1/8 × 12 7/8 inches (40.9 × 32.7 cm), Binding: 16 1/8 inches (41 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, center right: "blue & gold arch | under altar gold, red, blue & green mosque"; inscribed in black ink, lower center: "Gate of the Zancarron or | Sanctuary of the Koran. | discovered in 1815 in the Great Mosque | at Cordova"; lower right: "CHS."
Signed in pen and black ink, lower right: "CHS"; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | landscape
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Charles Hamilton Smith, 1776–1859, Belgian, Gate of the Zancarron of Sactuary of the Koran, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.