View of the City of Bristol
- ca. 1831
- Lithograph on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper with gray chine collé
- Sheet: 10 3/4 x 11 7/16 inches (27.3 x 29 cm), Sheet (chine collé): 7 15/16 x 9 5/8 inches (20.1 x 24.5 cm), and Image: 5 3/16 x 7 5/16 inches (13.2 x 18.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "20 914"
Lettered, lower left: 'T. L. Rowbotham delt."; lower center: "VIEW OF THE CITY OF BRISTOL | (description of the Bristol riots and the depicted scene over six lines) | Published by Davey and Muskett, Booksellers Broad St. Bristol, and sold by Charles Tilt, Fleet St. London, & all other Booksellers. | Day & Haghe Lithrs. to the King, 17 Gate St. London."; lower right: "Drawn on Stone by L. Haghe"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Brian and Linda Gracie
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | architecture | bridges (built works) | buildings | city | correctional institution | crowds | dark | docks | evening | fire | flames | gates | houses | mobs | night | offices | people | prisons | protesting | riots | river | ships | smoke | trees | warehouses
- Associated Places:
- Avon | Bristol | England | Europe | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Louis Haghe, 1806–1885, British, View of the City of Bristol, ca. 1831
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.