- Part Of:
- Lithograph, hand-colored on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- 11 3/4 x 17 3/8 inches (29.8 x 44.1 cm), 9 3/16 x 13 9/16 inches (23.3 x 34.5 cm), and 9 1/16 x 13 9/16 inches (23 x 34.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "8.00"; lower right: "6 (circled)"
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 144"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower center: "STOP THIEF! | Published by ThosMcLean, 26 Haymarket July 27, 1831"; lower right: "C Motte's Litogy 70 St Martins Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Gift of Brian and Linda Gracie
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bill | caricature | chancellor | chasing | exchequer | historical subject | hourglass | legislation | newspaper | parody | political | politician | running | sandglass | satire | satirical | scrolls | scythe | sketches | thief | time | toga | top hat | treasury | wings
- Associated People:
- Father Time, man with wings and scythe
Spencer, John Charles, 3rd Earl Spencer, Lord Althorp (1782-1845), politician, Chancellor of the Exchequer
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, Stop Thief!, 1831
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.