- Part Of:
- Lithograph, hand-colored on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 11 3/4 x 17 3/8 inches (29.8 x 44.1 cm), Image: 9 3/16 x 13 9/16 inches (23.3 x 34.5 cm), and Image: 9 1/16 x 13 9/16 inches (23 x 34.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "8.00"; lower right: "6 (circled)"
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 144"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower center: "STOP THIEF! | Published by ThosMcLean, 26 Haymarket July 27, 1831"; lower right: "C Motte's Litogy 70 St Martins Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Gift of Brian and Linda Gracie
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bill | caricature | chancellor | chasing | exchequer | historical subject | hourglass | legislation | newspaper | parody | political | politician | running | sandglass | satire | satirical | scrolls | sketches | thief | time | toga | top hat | treasury
- Associated People:
- Father Time, man with wings and scythe
Spencer, John Charles, 3rd Earl Spencer, Lord Althorp (1782-1845), politician, Chancellor of the Exchequer
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, Stop Thief!, 1831
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.