A Will O' The Wisp
- Part Of:
- Lithograph, hand-colored on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 11 7/8 x 17 1/4 inches (30.1 x 43.8 cm) and Image: 8 7/8 x 13 11/16 inches (22.6 x 34.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "8.00"; lower center: "Durham, Lord Earl Grey, Carnation | 6 (circled)"
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB sketches 150"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower center: "'A WILL O'THE WISP'. | London Pubd by Thos McLean 26 Haymarket Augt 22nd 1831"; lower right: "Published by C. Motte 70 St Martins Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Gift of Brian and Linda Gracie
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bog | coats | illusion | lantern | men | parody | political | politicians | satire | sketches | star | wigs | will-o'-the-wisp
- Associated People:
- Lambton, John George, 1st Earl of Durham (1792-1840), MP, Ambassador to Russia, Governor-General of Canada
Peter, Henry, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux (1778–1868), politician/statesman
Herbert, Henry George, 2nd Earl of Carnarvon (1772-1833), Colonel of the West Somerset Yeomanry
Stewart, Charles William, 3rd Marquess of Londonderry (1778-1854), KCB, GCB, general and diplomatist
Grey, Charles, 2nd Earl Grey (1764–1845), politician/statesman
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, A Will O' The Wisp, 1831
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.