IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, A Will O' The Wisp, 1831
A Will O' The Wisp
- Part Of:
- Lithograph, hand-colored on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 11 7/8 x 17 1/4 inches (30.1 x 43.8 cm), Image: 8 7/8 x 13 11/16 inches (22.6 x 34.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "8.00"; lower center: "Durham, Lord Earl Grey, Carnation | 6 (circled)"
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB sketches 150"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower center: "'A WILL O'THE WISP'. | London Pubd by Thos McLean 26 Haymarket Augt 22nd 1831"; lower right: "Published by C. Motte 70 St Martins Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Gift of Brian and Linda Gracie
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bog | coats | illusion | lantern | men | parody | political | politicians | satire | sketches | star | wigs | will-o'-the-wisp
- Associated People:
- Lambton, John George, 1st Earl of Durham (1792-1840), MP, Ambassador to Russia, Governor-General of Canada
Peter, Henry, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux (1778–1868), politician/statesman
Stewart, Charles William, 3rd Marquess of Londonderry (1778-1854), KCB, GCB, general and diplomatist
Herbert, Henry George, 2nd Earl of Carnarvon (1772-1833), Colonel of the West Somerset Yeomanry
Grey, Charles, 2nd Earl Grey (1764–1845), politician/statesman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.