A Graceful Speciman of The Retort Courteous
- Part Of:
- Lithograph, hand-colored on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 12 x 17 5/16 inches (30.5 x 44 cm) and Image: 9 15/16 x 13 15/16 inches (25.3 x 35.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "10.00"; lower right: "3 (circled)"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches 148"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left below image: "London, Published by Thos McLean 26 Haymarket Aug 12, 1831"; lower center: "A Grace(underlined)ful Specimen | of | THE RETORT COURTEOUS."; lower right: "Printed by C. Motte, 70 Martins Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Gift of Brian and Linda Gracie
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barges | bridge (built work) | celebration | ceremony | discussion (meeting) | dukes | fancy dress | flags | genre subject | men | oars | political | politicians | river | satire | satirical | sketches | top hats
- Associated Places:
- City of London | England | Greater London | London Bridge | Thames | United Kingdom
- Associated People:
- Bentinck, Lord George (1802-1848), politician/statesman, athlete/sportsman
Wellesley, Arthur, first duke of Wellington (1769–1852), army officer and prime minister
Stewart, Charles William, 3rd Marquess of Londonderry (1778-1854), KCB, GCB, general and diplomatist
Scott, John, 1st Earl of Eldon (1751-1838), Lord Chancellor
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, A Graceful Speciman of The Retort Courteous, 1831
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.