A Graceful Speciman of The Retort Courteous
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Lithograph, hand-colored on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 12 x 17 5/16 inches (30.5 x 44 cm), Image: 9 15/16 x 13 15/16 inches (25.3 x 35.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "10.00"; lower right: "3 (circled)"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches 148"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left below image: "London, Published by Thos McLean 26 Haymarket Aug 12, 1831"; lower center: "A Grace(underlined)ful Specimen | of | THE RETORT COURTEOUS."; lower right: "Printed by C. Motte, 70 Martins Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Gift of Brian and Linda Gracie
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barges | bridge (built work) | celebration | ceremony | discussion (meeting) | dukes | fancy dress | flags | genre subject | gesturing | men | oars | political | politicians | posing | river | satire | satirical | sketches | surprise | top hats
- Associated Places:
- City of London | England | Greater London | London Bridge | Thames | United Kingdom
- Associated People:
- Scott, John, 1st Earl of Eldon (1751–1838), Lord Chancellor
Stewart, Charles William, 3rd Marquess of Londonderry (1778–1854), KCB, GCB, general and diplomatist
Bentinck, Lord George (1802–1848), politician/statesman, athlete/sportsman
Wellesley, Arthur, first duke of Wellington (1769–1852), army officer and prime minister
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, A Graceful Speciman of The Retort Courteous, 1831
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.