The Penny Trumpeter!
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: James Cook, the Murderer of Mr. Paas of Leicester
- Lithograph, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 17 3/8 x 11 1/4 inches (44.2 x 28.6 cm), Image (recto): 16 x 9 3/8 inches (40.6 x 23.8 cm), and Image (verso): 9 3/16 x 4 3/4 inches (23.4 x 12 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "18c"; lower right: "6 (circled) 10"
Lettered, upper center: "Entertaining Knowledge here_Trump Trump Trumpery | Trump _ Just printed and published the Penny magazine, | All works not issued by the Society for the Diffusion | of Useful Knowledge are Illegal: ____ Orders now ta_ | ken for the forthcoming New Penny Cyclopedia, Trump Trump...."; (lettered on various parts of image inside); lower left: "CJ Grant"; lower center: "THE PENNY TRUMPETER! | London Pubd by Tregar 123 Cheapside Septr 20th 1832"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art; Gift of Brian and Linda Gracie
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bag | books | boy | breeches | caricature | chancellor | criminal | hat | hat | historical subject | horn | humor | magazines | man | murder | newspapers | papers | parody | penny | politician | portrait | profile | running | satire | trumpet | trumpeter | wig
- Associated People:
- Peter, Henry, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux (1778–1868), politician/statesman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Charles Jameson Grant, active 1830–1852, British, The Penny Trumpeter!, 1832
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.