IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by Luigi Schiavonetti, 1765–1810, Italian, The Body of Tippoo Sultan Recognised by his Family, 1801
The Body of Tippoo Sultan Recognised by his Family
- Stipple engraving and etching with hand coloring in watercolor on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper mounted on moderately thick, slightly textured cream wove paper
- Sheet: 22 1/8 × 25 5/8 inches (56.2 × 65.1 cm), Mount: 25 3/4 × 30 3/4 inches (65.4 × 78.1 cm)
Inscribed on mount in graphite, upper right: "2i 217 | 4Bl"; lower left: "1507"; lower right: "1507"
Lettered below image: "Painted by R.K.Porter | London, Published Octr. 15th 1801 by Messrs. Schiavonetti No.12 Michaels Place Brompton, and by Anthy Cardon No.31 Clipstone Street Fitzroy Square | Engraved by L.Schiavonetti,VA"; lower left: "The Body of Tippoo Sultaun recognised by his Family"; lower right: "Le Corps du Sultan Tippoo reconnu par sa Famille"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bed | body | historical subject | swords
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.