Jockey on a horse with three figures
- Pen and brown ink over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 5 1/8 × 6 3/8 inches (13 × 16.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso: "medium has no place | [...] | [...] as his parts are above mediocrity | [...] and hinder sense | [tre?]atment is joined an extreme jealousy | [...] | on the contrary his jealousy [...]ment carries him into a [...] | years & hurries conviction | impatience/ once experienced - | of sentiment | the most enlarged sense | [...]"
Watermark: fragment: (S M [?])
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | sporting art
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Sawrey Gilpin, 1733–1807, British, Jockey on a horse with three figures, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.