Knaresborough Castle, Yorkshire
- Materials & Techniques:
- Gray and orange wash over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper prepared with orange wash, mounted on thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper with wash line border
- Mount: 14 3/4 x 17 13/16 inches (37.4 x 45.2 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 13 1/8 x 16 1/4 inches (33.4 x 41.2 cm), Sheet: 10 15/16 x 13 7/8 inches (27.8 x 35.3 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, on mount, lower center: "Knaresborough Castle."
signed in graphite, on mount, lower right: "Gilpin"; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | buildings | castle | hills | houses | landscape | mountains | river | rocks (landforms) | ruins | trees | waterfall
- Associated Places:
- England | Knaresborough | Knaresborough Castle | Nidd | North Yorkshire | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Rev. William Gilpin, 1724–1804, British, Knaresborough Castle, Yorkshire, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.