- Additional Title(s):
A Giant Scots Fir and Forest Glade
- Materials & Techniques:
- Gray and brown wash with pen and brown ink over graphite with gum on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper prepared with brown wash, mounted on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Mount: 20 13/16 x 15 7/8 inches (52.9 x 40.3 cm), Sheet: 17 1/8 x 12 7/8 inches (43.5 x 32.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper center: "Revd. W Gilpin | of Boldre. 1771."; on back, lower right: "D. 1369"
Collector's mark: Henry Reveley (Lugt 1356); collector's mark, verso: Paul Mellon
Signed on mount in graphite, lower center: "W. Gilpin"; dated on verso in graphite, upper center: "Done in 1771"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- dark | figures | forest | landscape | night | path | trees | walking
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Carl Paul Barbier, William Gilpin : his drawings, teaching, and theory of the picturesque, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1963, p. 34, pl. 5, NJ18 .G386 B27 + Oversize YCBA [ORBIS]
Rev. William Gilpin, The Reverend William Gilpin and the picturesque : an exhibition of the works of the Reverend William Gilpin, 1724-1804, and other members of the Gilpin family, June to September 1959, London County Council, London, 1959, p. 18, no. 34, NJ18 .G386 B26 1959 YCBA [ORBIS]
Scott Wilcox, Line of beauty : British drawings and watercolors of the eighteenth century, , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 2001, pp. 60-61, no. 46, NC228 W53 2001 (YCBA) [YCBA]