- Additional Title(s):
A Giant Scots Fir and Forest Glade
- Gray and brown wash with pen and brown ink over graphite with gum on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper prepared with brown wash, mounted on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- 20 13/16 x 15 7/8 inches (52.9 x 40.3 cm) and 17 1/8 x 12 7/8 inches (43.5 x 32.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper center: "Revd. W Gilpin | of Boldre. 1771."; on back, lower right: "D. 1369"
collector's stamp of Henry Reveley (Lugt 1356), in black ink, lower left; collector's stamp of the Paul Mellon Collection, in blue ink, on back, center
Signed on mount in graphite, lower center: "W. Gilpin"; dated on verso in graphite, upper center: "Done in 1771"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- dark | figures | forest | landscape | night | path | trees | walking
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
The Line of Beauty : British Drawings and Watercolors of the Eighteenth Century (Yale Center for British Art, 2001-05-19 - 2001-08-05) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Carl Paul Barbier, William Gilpin : his drawings, teaching, and theory of the picturesque, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1963, p. 34, pl. 5, NJ18 .G386 B27 (LC)+ Oversize YCBA [OCLC]
Rev. William Gilpin, The Reverend William Gilpin and the picturesque : an exhibition of the works of the Reverent William Gilpin, 1724-1804, and other members of the Gilpin family, June to September 1959, London County Council, London, 1959, p. 18, no. 34, NJ18 .G386 B26 1959 YCBA [OCLC]
Scott Wilcox, Line of beauty : British drawings and watercolors of the eighteenth century, , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 2001, pp. 60-61, no. 46, NC228 W53 2001 (YCBA) [YCBA]