River Forth with the Town and Castle of Stirling in the Distance
- Materials & Techniques:
- Brown, gray, and yellow wash over graphite on moderately thick, rough, cream wove paper prepared with yellow wash
- Sheet: 5 1/4 x 8 1/2 inches (13.3 x 21.6 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, on back, upper left to upper right: "River Forth from the park at Kinid. the town µ Casr. of Stirling on the top of this | Hill. the cast of Airth on the shore. Clac kmanan Tower on the left. The | water of Avon on the Foreground"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection, Gift of Elizabeth Manwaring
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | buildings | castle | landscape | mountains | river | town | trees
- Associated Places:
- Avon | Forth | Scotland | Stirling | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Rev. William Gilpin, 1724–1804, British, River Forth with the Town and Castle of Stirling in the Distance, 1780
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.