IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Jonathan Skelton, active 1754, died 1758, British, The River Stour, St. Mildred's Church and the Castle of Canterbury, 1757
The River Stour, St. Mildred's Church and the Castle of Canterbury
- Watercolor with pen and black ink and gray wash over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 8 1/4 x 21 7/8in. (21 x 55.6cm)
Inscribed in black ink, on back, lower center: "The River Stour - St. Mildred's Church and the Castle of Canterbury"; in graphite, on back, lower right: "JONATHAN SKELTON: THE RIVER STOUR"
Signed and dated on verso in black ink, lower right: "1757. | J. Skelton"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | buildings | castle | church | footbridge | landscape | river | trees
- Associated Places:
- Canterbury | Canterbury Castle | England | Kent | St. Mildred's Church, Canterbury | Stour | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
English Landscape (Paul Mellon Collection) 1630-1850 (Yale Center for British Art, 1977-04-19 - 1977-07-17) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.