Portrait of Mrs. Wilks of Madras
- Graphite and brown wash on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 7 × 6 3/8 inches (17.8 × 16.2 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, lower left: "Mrs. Wilks of Madras"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "G. 153"
Watermark: J Whatman
Signed and dated in graphite, lower right: "JS | 1793"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bodice | gown | hat | plumes | portrait | ribbons (costume accessories) | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Smart, 1741–1811, British, Portrait of Mrs. Wilks of Madras, 1793
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.