Portrait of Mrs. Wilks of Madras
- Graphite and brown wash on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 7 × 6 3/8 inches (17.8 × 16.2 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, lower left: "Mrs. Wilks of Madras"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "G. 153"
Watermark: J Whatman
Signed and dated in graphite, lower right: "JS | 1793"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bodice | gown | hat | plumes | portrait | ribbons (costume accessories) | woman
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Smart, 1741–1811, British, Portrait of Mrs. Wilks of Madras, 1793
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.