Dr. Messenger Monsey of Chelsea Hospital, 1693-1788
- Pen and black ink and watercolor on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 5 7/8 × 4 9/16 inches (14.9 × 11.6 cm)
Inscribed on verso in black ink, upper right: "Ornaments of Chelsea Hospital | or a peep into the | last Century | Pub. Jan 19th 1789 | by | H. Humphrey | New Bond Street"; in graphite, center right: "D. 2742"; in black ink, lower right: "in the European | [...]"; in black print: " Your most obedient humble Servent, | Henery Ellis Secretary, | British Museum"
Collector's mark, verso: Paul Mellon
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- genre subject | hat | physician | portrait | wig
- Associated People:
- Monsey, Messenger (1693–1788), physician
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Thomas Smith, 1766–1833, British, Dr. Messenger Monsey of Chelsea Hospital, 1693-1788, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.