Cottage among Trees
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: Outline Profile of a Face
- ca. 1795
- Graphite and gray wash; verso: graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 3/8 x 14 3/8 inches (28.9 x 36.5 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in graphite, upper right: "179[...]; lower right, in graphite: "A Rural Cottage | [...]; on back in pen and brown ink, upper left: "Letitia Proby 23d Sept.r 1799"; in graphite, center right: "Frederick Henry Proby"; in a later hand in graphite, lower right: "J. CONSTABLE: A COTTAGE AMONG TREES | 65/5/24/18 IR 254 B1981.25.2415"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | cottage | fence | figure | gate | landscape | thatched
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Constable, 1776–1837, British, Cottage among Trees, ca. 1795
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.