- Watercolor, black ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 5 3/4 x 8 1/2 inches (14.6 x 21.6 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, on the old mount (detached): "The look into the Opening through Castle Point, from The S.E. Through this narrow projecting Headland the sea has made a Vast opening through which | the Tides rushing round the Point in dreadful opposition of current enter a huge Cavern on both sides.__ The figures in this Drawing are on an undermined Ledge open | also to The Sea through whose Arch the opposing Tides meet, and maintains a tremendous Struggle in roar & foam__at a great depth below__; in graphite, verso, upper left: "3701| Warwick Smith"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- birds | dog (animal) | genre subject | geology | landscape | men | rocks (landforms) | sea
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.