An Interior View of the Colosseum, Rome
- Watercolor over graphite on thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 14 1/2 x 21 1/2 inches (36.8 x 54.6 cm)
Inscribed on verso in brown ink, center: "Inside of the Colleseo | Rome J. Smith"; in graphite, center: "186"
Signed on verso in brown ink, center: "J. Smith"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | clouds | costume | crucifix | genre subject | Grand Tour | interior | people | ruins
- Associated Places:
- Colosseum | Italy | Rome
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Presences of Nature - British Landscape 1780-1830 (Yale Center for British Art, 1982-10-20 - 1983-02-27) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Louis Hawes, Presences of Nature : British Landscape, 1780-1830, , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 1982, p. 147, no. III.12, pl. 123, ND1354.4 H38 (YCBA) [YCBA]