Timon of Athens Before His Cave
- Additional Title(s):
Claudius Alone at Prayer (?)
- Part Of:
- ca. 1805
- Graphite and black chalk on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet (cropped to image): 9 5/8 x 7 7/16 inches (24.5 x 18.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Hamlet" in blue ink, on back, upper left: "1023"; in graphite, on back, upper left: "1227 (crossed out)"; in red ink, on back, upper center: "Lot 558"
Signed in brown ink, lower right: "Cosway"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cave | cloak | Hamlet, Act III, Scene III | literary theme | man | plays by William Shakespeare | prayer | praying | sandals | The Life of Timon of Athens, play by William Shakespeare
- Associated People:
- Timon (character in Timon of Athens)
Claudius (character in Hamlet)
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Richard Cosway, 1742–1821, British, Timon of Athens Before His Cave, ca. 1805
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.