IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
George Chinnery, 1774–1852, British, John Lyon, 1812
- Gouache, watercolor and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Frame: 8 x 6 7/8 x 5/8 inches (20.3 x 17.5 x 1.6 cm), Sheet: 4 5/8 x 3 7/8 inches (11.7 x 9.8 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in graphite lower: "G.C. | 1812"; inscribed on back of frame in pen and brown ink lower center: "John Lyon | born 1788-died 1858 unmarried | (eldest son of David Lyon Esq. of | Portland Place and Jamaica) | Portrait by Cosway | WFHL."
Signed in graphite lower right: "G.C."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors-Miniatures
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- book | man | portrait
- Associated People:
- Lyon, John (1788-1858), eldest son of David Lyon Esq.
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Patrick Noon, English Portrait Drawings & Miniatures, Yale Center for British Art, 1979, no. 185, NC772 N66+ (Wall Shelf) (YCBA) [YCBA]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.