- John Lyon
- Gouache, watercolor and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Frame: 8 x 6 7/8 x 5/8 inches (20.3 x 17.5 x 1.6 cm) and Sheet: 4 5/8 x 3 7/8 inches (11.7 x 9.8 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in graphite lower: "G.C. | 1812"; inscribed on back of frame in pen and brown ink lower center: "John Lyon | born 1788-died 1858 unmarried | (eldest son of David Lyon Esq. of | Portland Place and Jamaica) | Portrait by Cosway | WFHL."
Signed in graphite lower right: "G.C."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors-Miniatures
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- book | man | portrait
- Associated People:
- Lyon, John (1788-1858), eldest son of David Lyon Esq.
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Patrick Noon, English Portrait Drawings & Miniatures, Yale Center for British Art, 1979, no. 185, NC772 N66+ (Wall Shelf) (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
George Chinnery, 1774–1852, British, John Lyon, 1812
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.