Design for the Grand Staircase, Buckingham Palace, The First Subject
- Materials & Techniques:
- Brown ink and wash over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 7 5/8 × 19 3/8 inches (19.4 × 49.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper center: various identifications of persons depicted in frieze; in pen and black ink, lower center: "The First Subject"; inscribed on verso in pen and brown ink: "Stothard-Ritual of the Order of the Garter'
Signed in pen and brown ink, lower right: "Thos Stothard"; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Stothard, 1755–1834, British, Design for the Grand Staircase, Buckingham Palace, The First Subject, 1828
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.