Entrance into the Cornmarket, Formerly the Chapel of St. Louis, at Bayeux
- Brown ink, brown wash, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 1/2 x 7 1/8 inches (24.1 x 18.1 cm) and Contemporary drawn border: 14 3/4 x 11 inches (37.5 x 27.9 cm)
Inscribed in watercolor, lower right: "1817__ J. S Cotman"; in graphite, lower left: "La Chapelle de St Louis a Bayeus | Actuellement la porte de la Halle"; in watercolor, lower center: "Entrance into the Cornmarket, formerly | the Chapel of St Louis. __at Bayeux."
Collector's mark: RIBA blind embossed stamp
Signed and dated in watercolor, lower right: "1817__ J. S Cotman"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | chapel
- Associated Places:
- Bayeux | France
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Sell Cotman, 1782–1842, British, Entrance into the Cornmarket, Formerly the Chapel of St. Louis, at Bayeux, 1817
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.