Part of the Old Fortifications at Saint Lo, Normandy
- Graphite and brown wash on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 12 1/8 x 8 5/8 inches (30.8 x 21.9 cm) and Mount: 14 1/4 × 9 7/8 inches (36.2 × 25.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "J. S. Cotman July 30/17"; lower left: "Part of the old fortifications at St Lo | Normandy | J S. Cotman"; in brown ink, upper left: "12."
Collector's mark: RIBA blind embossed stamp
Signed and dated in graphite, lower right: "J. S. Cotman July 30/17"; lower left: "J S. Cotman"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | cliff
- Associated Places:
- Europe | France | Normandy | Saint-Lô
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Sell Cotman, 1782–1842, British, Part of the Old Fortifications at Saint Lo, Normandy, 1817
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.