- Ma'm Vandercrout and Suitors
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 8 1/2 x 9 1/2in. (21.6 x 24.1cm) and Sheet: 8 1/2 × 9 3/8 inches (21.6 × 23.8 cm)
Lettered extensively in pen and black ink, lower center, beginning: "MA'M VANDERCROUT | Mam Vandercrout her weeds quite new | Fifty and richer than a Jew | With voice of raven and an eye | Might with the coddled gooseberry vie | Fair as bull beef and then a form | Lovely as porpoise in a storm | A ton of flesh with gold hoops bound | Just four feet high and six feet round..."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | gentlemen | obese | paintings | vulture | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Isaac Cruikshank, 1756–1810, British, Ma'm Vandercrout and Suitors, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.