IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Isaac Cruikshank, 1756–1810, British, Ma'm Vandercrout and Suitors, undated
Ma'm Vandercrout and Suitors
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 8 1/2 x 9 1/2in. (21.6 x 24.1cm), Sheet: 8 1/2 × 9 3/8 inches (21.6 × 23.8 cm)
Lettered extensively in pen and black ink, lower center, beginning: "MA'M VANDERCROUT | Mam Vandercrout her weeds quite new | Fifty and richer than a Jew | With voice of raven and an eye | Might with the coddled gooseberry vie | Fair as bull beef and then a form | Lovely as porpoise in a storm | A ton of flesh with gold hoops bound | Just four feet high and six feet round..."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | gentlemen | obese | paintings | vulture | woman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.