- Caricature of a Sailor (One of a Set of Three)
- ca. 1799
- Watercolor and gouache on medium smooth bright white wove paper
- Sheet: 9 3/4 x 7 3/4 inches (24.8 x 19.7 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower right: "J. Cotman"; lower left, lower center, lower right: "They say theres a Cherub set perch'd up aloft, | To keep watch for the life of poor Jack."; in graphite, verso: "J.S. Cotman | at 17 years of age | by J. Cotman 1799 | [...] 1799 | J. Cotman | [...] | Gift [...] 782 | collection Miss Fison | Friars Close Thedford | Norfolk | gift to R.C. 782 | [...]"
Signed in brown ink, lower right: "J. Cotman"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cannon | caricature | figure study | sailors
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Sell Cotman, 1782–1842, British, Caricature of a Sailor (One of a Set of Three), ca. 1799
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.