- Caricature of Two Men with Drawn Swords (One of a Set of Three)
- Watercolor and brown ink on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 7 5/8 x 9 3/4 inches (19.4 x 24.8 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower left: "J. Cotman 1799."; verso, in graphite: "John Sell Cotman at 17 years of age | Water mark 1794 J. Cotman 1799 [...] | bought [...] gift to [...] | given by Miss Fison Friars Close | Thetford Norfolk/ at a bazaar in [...] Yarmouth | on the advice of [...] [?]Fellowes/ RC 782"
Watermark: J. Whatman 1794; Collector's mark: lion rampant over banner with illeg. inscription.
Signed and dated in brown ink, lower left: "J. Cotman 1799."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | figure study | men | swords
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Sell Cotman, 1782–1842, British, Caricature of Two Men with Drawn Swords (One of a Set of Three), 1799
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.