Cottage Amongst Trees
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: Sketches of Faces
- Watercolor on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper mounted on medium, moderately textured, light blue wove paper
- Mount: 8 7/16 x 9 5/8 inches (21.4 x 24.5 cm) and Sheet: 4 3/4 × 5 7/8 inches (12.1 × 14.9 cm)
Inscribed in gray ink, on mount, lower right: "J. Varley."; on mat, lower right: "John Varley. | From Colln. of John Linnell | Br. from his descendant, Mrs Herpent. | 1933 | Martin Hardie"; in graphite, on mat, lower right: "Very like DeWint in colour scheme, of Indian red re. | and much finer + fresher than the more formal | Varley drawing, with its careful washes | NB- cha[...] verso not [...] | v. weak [...] of form for cottage | despite DeWint's palette most likely a pupil | DEC."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cottage | forest | landscape | sketches | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
pupil of Peter DeWint, (?), 1784–1849, British, Cottage Amongst Trees, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.