Cottage Amongst Trees
- Additional Title(s):
Verso: Sketches of Faces
- Watercolor on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper mounted on medium, moderately textured, light blue wove paper
- 8 7/16 x 9 5/8 inches (21.4 x 24.5 cm) and 4 3/4 × 5 7/8 inches (12.1 × 14.9 cm)
Inscribed in gray ink, on mount, lower right: "J. Varley."; on mat, lower right: "John Varley. | From Colln. of John Linnell | Br. from his descendant, Mrs Herpent. | 1933 | Martin Hardie"; in graphite, on mat, lower right: "Very like DeWint in colour scheme, of Indian red re. | and much finer + fresher than the more formal | Varley drawing, with its careful washes | NB- cha[...] verso not [...] | v. weak [...] of form for cottage | despite DeWint's palette most likely a pupil | DEC."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cottage | faces | forest | landscape | sketches | trees
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
pupil of Peter DeWint, (?), 1784–1849, British, Cottage Amongst Trees, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.