Design for Grosvenor House, London: Plan for Rebuilding the South Front
- Graphite, pen and black ink and watercolor on slightly textured, moderately thick, cream wove paper
- 20 7/16 × 30 3/4 inches (51.9 × 78.1 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, lower center: "The Rebuilding, and bringing forward, the South Front of Grosvenor House 3 feet, from A to B"; in pen and black ink, upper center: "Design No 2"; in pen and black ink, center left to right, plan labeled: "Picture", "Gallery", "Drawing room", "Present wall", "Area", "A", "Bow Draw.g room", "Ante Dining room", "Present wall", "Area", "B"; in pen and black ink, lower center, bar scale labeled "0" to "100", "Scale of Feet"; in pen and black ink, lower center, bar scale labeled "1" to "12 1/4 diameters"
Watermark: J WHATMAN/ TURKEY MILL/ 2
Signed and dated in pen and black ink, lower center: "Thomas Cundy July 1834"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | design | house
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | London | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Cundy, 1790–1867, British, Design for Grosvenor House, London: Plan for Rebuilding the South Front, 1834
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.