- River Scene and Bridge with Artist Sketching in Foreground
- Watercolor, pen, black ink, gray ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 3/4 x 16 inches (29.8 x 40.6 cm) and Mount: 15 5/8 x 20 inches (39.7 x 50.8 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, lower right (below image): "S DAVIS . 1777"; inscribed on back in graphite, lower right: "J.27." [encircled]
Watermark: Heawood 3463 (J Whatman & C°) (names)
Signed and dated in pen and black ink, lower right: "S DAVIS . 1777"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | artist | branches | bridge (built work) | cliff | foreground | landscape | river | sketching
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Samuel Davis, 1757–1819, British, River Scene and Bridge with Artist Sketching in Foreground, 1777
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.