Design for Grosvenor House, London: Plan for the New Entrance to Grosvenor House
- Graphite, pen and black ink and wash on moderately textured, moderately thick, cream wove paper
- 29 7/16 × 25 3/16 inches (74.8 × 64 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Plan for the New Entrance to Grosvenor House and | shewing the adaption to a New house at a future period."; in graphite, upper left: "Sketch | No 1"; in graphite, lower center, bar scale labeled "0" to "90", "Scale of Feet"; in graphite, throughout, plan labeled; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "Grosvenor House"; inscribed in pen and black ink, upper left: "Grosvenor House | Design for a New Entrance | and Fore Court | approved by Lord Westminster | July 21 1842 | The Gateways | 4 & 73 | to be commenced | in Sep.r and finished | by Lady Day next"; in graphite, lower right: "AD 602 JJ"
Watermark: J WHAT[MAN]/ TURKEY/ M[ILL]
SIgned and dated in graphite, lower right: "Thomas Cundy 1842"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | design | house | Plan
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | London | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Cundy, 1790–1867, British, Design for Grosvenor House, London: Plan for the New Entrance to Grosvenor House, 1842
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.