Between Chamonix and Martigny
- Additional Title(s):
The Aiguille Verte
- Pen and black ink, watercolor, graphite, gray wash and brown wash on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper mounted on moderately thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Mount: 12 15/16 x 17 11/16 inches (32.8 x 45 cm), Sheet: 9 5/16 x 14 1/8 inches (23.7 x 35.9 cm), and Image: 9 5/16 x 14 1/8 inches (23.7 x 35.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left on mount: "JOHN ROBERT COZENS: THE AIGULLE VERTE | (65/9/14/2)(PM2156)"; Inscribed in graphite, lower right on mount: "BETWEEN CHAMONIX AND MARTIGNY"; inscribed in black ink, upper right on back: "Savoy | 8"; inscribed in black ink, upper left to upper center on back: "Between Chamounix & Martinach [sic] | August 30-1776 | No. 16"; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "(65/9/14/2) | (PM 2156)"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "3758"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "COZENS, John Robert | The Aiquille Verte"
Watermarked, center on back (when read the correct way around; written vertically downwards): "C. TYSON"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- clouds | geology | Grand Tour | gray | height | hills | ice | landscape | monochrome | mountain range | mountains | peak | pine | rocks (landforms) | snow | travel | trees | weather
- Associated Places:
- Alps | Chamonix-Mont-Blanc | Europe | France | Martigny-les-Bains
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
David H. Solkin, Art in Britain 1660-1815, Yale University Press, New Haven, 2015, pp. 229-30, 332, fig. 232, N6766 S65 2015 OVERSIZE (YCBA)