- Frontispiece for Costume of China
- ca. 1804
- Gray wash, yellow wash, and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 10 3/8 × 8 5/8 inches (26.4 × 21.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, center: "COSTUME OF CHINA | Inscribed to the Right Honble. | the EARL of MACARTNEY. K. B. and | the Embassador from the | KING of GREAT BRITAIN | to the | EMPEROR of CHINA | A. D. M. DCC. XC. II. | By W. Alexander. F. S. A. | Draftsman to the Embassy"; on back, upper right: "10/6"; on back, center: "Alexander"; on back, lower left: "6/R"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | Chinese | frontispiece (illustration) | inscription | monument
- Associated Places:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Douglas Fordham, Aquatint Worlds : Travel, Print, and Empire 1770-1820, The Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art, New Haven and London, p. 120, fig. 97, NE2230 .F674 2019 (LC) Oversize
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
William Alexander, 1767–1816, British, Frontispiece for Costume of China, ca. 1804
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.