Indian Girl Seated by a River
- Additional Title(s):
Native Girls Filling Water Jugs in a River
- Brown and black ink with watercolor and gouache on medium, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Contemporary drawn border: 4 3/4 x 6 1/2 inches (12.1 x 16.5 cm) and Sheet: 4 3/8 x 6 1/4 inches (11.1 x 15.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, center: "On the banks of the Ganges | W. Daniell. RA | 1829"; on back of mount, lower center: "1 | 350"; on back of mount, lower right: "D26/27"
Signed and dated in brown ink, lower right: "WD | 1829"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- costume | girl | Indian | jugs | natives | palm trees | river | riverbanks | steps | walls | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
William Daniell, 1769–1837, British, Indian Girl Seated by a River, 1829
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.