Bristol Hot Wells
- ca. 1773
- Pen and brown ink on thin, smooth, cream laid paper, mounted on medium, rough, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 5 x 8 7/8 inches (12.7 x 22.5 cm) and Mount: 5 x 9 inches (12.7 x 22.9 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in pen and brown ink upper right: "Bristol | Hot Wells."; in pen and brown ink upper left: "1 Sun misty But ye body of it very bright | 2 very Tend.r from ye Sun | 3 ye edges of ye hills faintly mark'd all in mist Pretty warm but greyish | 4 green field in ye sun | Tend.r Grey upon it"; Inscribed on back in graphite lower right: "<B 1979. 29. 1> | IR 337/1"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | cityscape | clouds | hills | houses | lakes | reflections
- Associated Places:
- Bristol | England
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Robert Cozens, 1752–1797, British, Bristol Hot Wells, ca. 1773
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.