Ruins at Chiaravalle near Ancona, Italy
- Brown wash and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 1/4 × 4 1/2 inches (15.9 × 11.4 cm)
In graphite, lower right: [illeg. with the following inscription superimposed], in pen and black ink, lower right: "Scravalle/ 4 June 1818 Separating Umbria / from Ancona"; verso, in pen and brown ink: "Italy/ Ruins of the Castle of/ Scravalle - a j/ where an old Gothic Wall/ Separated the March of/ Ancona from Umbria/ Edward Jones, fecit/ 4 [in a different ink] June 1818"/ [?] [graphite inscription illeg. beneath above inscription].
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Leon Korn
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | hills | landscape | ruins | trees
- Associated Places:
- Ancona | Chiaravalle | Europe | Italy | Marche
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Edward Jones, active 1819–1835, Ruins at Chiaravalle near Ancona, Italy, 1818
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.