Ruins at Chiaravalle near Ancona, Italy
- Brown wash and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 1/4 × 4 1/2 inches (15.9 × 11.4 cm)
In graphite, lower right: [illeg. with the following inscription superimposed], in pen and black ink, lower right: "Scravalle/ 4 June 1818 Separating Umbria / from Ancona"; verso, in pen and brown ink: "Italy/ Ruins of the Castle of/ Scravalle - a j/ where an old Gothic Wall/ Separated the March of/ Ancona from Umbria/ Edward Jones, fecit/ 4 [in a different ink] June 1818"/ [?] [graphite inscription illeg. beneath above inscription].
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Leon Korn
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- hills | landscape | ruins | trees
- Associated Places:
- Ancona | Chiaravalle | Europe | Italy | Marche
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Edward Jones, active 1819–1835, Ruins at Chiaravalle near Ancona, Italy, 1818
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.