The Tomb of Van Balen, Antwerp, September 7, 1832
- Graphite and watercolor on medium, slightly textured, pale orange wove paper
- Sheet: 5/8 x 7 3/4 inches (1.6 x 19.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Tomb of | Van Balen"; in graphite, center (part of composition): "Christo Resurgentitacr [?] | INTLEGRAVITE VIRO | PICTORI | EXIMIO | HENRICO VAN BALEN"; inscribed on back in graphite, lower right: "Scarlett Davis"; in graphite, center: "The [...] to be [...]"
Collector's: On verso, collector's stamp (Lugt 1405a): Sir Bruce S. Ingram (b. 1877) http://www.marquesdecollections.fr/detail.cfm/marque/7679/total/1
Signed and dated in graphite, center right: "J Scarlett Davis | Antwert Sept 7th | 1832"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | architecture | frame (furnishing) | painting (visual work) | religious | tomb | tourism
- Associated Places:
- Antwerp | Antwerpen | België | Europe | Vlaanderen
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
John Scarlett Davis - The Interior of the British Institution Gallery (Yale Center for British Art, 1984-02-28 - 1984-04-22) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Peter Funnell, John Scarlett Davis : The Interior of the British Institution Gallery, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 1984, pp. [ 6 ], [ 7 ], cat. no. 4, V 0103 (YCBA) [YCBA]