IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
John Flaxman, 1755–1826, British, Illustration to Pilgrim's Progress, 1792
Illustration to Pilgrim's Progress
- Black ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 8 3/4 x 10 3/4 inches (22.2 x 27.3 cm)
Inscribed in gray ink, lower center: "Christian | Discretion | Charity | Piety Prudence"; in gray ink, lower center: "And many of them meeting turn at the threshold of the | house, said Come in Thou Blessed of the Lord; | Pilgrim's Progress"
Signed and dated in gray ink, lower left: "J. Flaxman 8. June 1792"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- ceremonies | crosses (motifs) | literary theme | men | procession | robes | steps | women
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.