Garden Design for Northwick Park
- Pen and black ink, gray wash, and graphite on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (two joined sheets): 17 1/2 × 25 7/16 inches (44.5 × 64.6 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 16 7/8 × 25 3/16 inches (42.9 × 64 cm), and Image: 16 7/16 × 24 3/4 inches (41.8 × 62.9 cm)
Inscribed in pen, with black ink, upper left: "A PLAN of the Intended Alterations | Immediately about the House at | NORWICH | the Seat of | Sr John Rushout Bart. | by Wm. Emes | 1778."; inscribed in pen with black ink, center left: "Waterfall | Sunk fence and water course | The Keepers Lodge"; inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower left: "Part of the Sheep Pasture &c."; inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower center: "The Sunk Fence that divides the Park from the Sheep Pasture &c."; inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower right: "The Kitchen Garden | with Hot House &c. | Border to the Garden | The Walk thro' the Meadow to the Grove."; inscribed in pen, with brown ink, verso, center left: "R. Northwick"; inscribed in pen, with brown ink, verso, center right:"Sketch for Improvement of | Northwick -Park- | By W-Emes- | 1778"
Bend [on left sheet]; J WHATMAN [on right sheet].
Signed and dated in pen and black ink, upper left: "By W.m Emes | 1778"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Country houses in Great Britain., Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 1979, pp. 76-77, no. 64, N6764 Y34 1979 (YCBA)