- Sorry, Boys, I can't go both ways at once
- Pen and black ink, blue chalk, white gouache, gum arabic and graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 13 7/8 × 19 1/4 inches (35.2 × 48.9 cm) and Image: 11 5/16 × 17 5/8 inches (28.7 × 44.8 cm)
Inscribed in pen, with black ink, upper left: "TO | 100% PACIFISM TO | ORGANIZATION OF | LAW AND ORDER", inscribed in white gouache center right "DIC SHEPARD DEAR OLD GEORGE ANTI-WAR YOUTH"; inscribed in pen, with black ink, upper right: "RESIST | THE | AGGRESSOR | NO | RISKY | SANCTIONS"; inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower center: "SORRY, BOYS, I CAN'T GO BOTH WAYS AT ONCE."; inscribed in graphite, verso, upper right: "General | League"
Signed in brush and black ink, lower left: "LOW"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Charles and E. Jennifer Monaghan
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | historical subject | World War 1939-1945
- Associated People:
- Sheppard, Hugh Richard Lawrie "Dick" (1880–1937) British Anglican priest, Dean of Canterbury and Christian pacifist
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Sir David Low, 1891–1963, New Zealand, Sorry, Boys, I can't go both ways at once, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.