Uncle Arthur and his Nightmares of the Round Table
- Pen and black ink, graphite, and blue chalk on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 11 13/16 × 17 7/16 inches (30 × 44.3 cm), Image: 10 1/2 × 16 3/8 inches (26.7 × 41.6 cm)
Inscribed in pen, with black ink, upper left: "DELEGATE FROM BLAZES:" International Control? Outrageous! Opposed to the Traditional ideals of patriotism | and national sovereignity! Its ' my belief my hon. friends opposite | are trying to turn this into a Disarmament Confrence! | (cries of "SHAME")", inscribed in pen, with black ink, center: "GENEVA"; inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower center: "UNCLE ARTHUR AND HIS NIGHTMARES OF THE ROUND TABLE."; inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower left: "ARMS | MANUFACTURER"; inscribed in pen, with black ink, lower right: "FRENCH | ARMS | PLAN | ARMS | PLAN | BRITISH | ARMS | PLAN | ARMS |PLAN | PEACE CIVILIZ | ATION"
Signed in brush and brown ink, lower right; "LOW"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Charles and E. Jennifer Monaghan
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- caricature | historical subject | World War 1939-1945
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Sir David Low, 1891–1963, New Zealand, Uncle Arthur and his Nightmares of the Round Table, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.